Carbon-footprintEnvironmental sustainability has always been a priority at Multifilm Packaging. Our raw materials come from a finite source, so therefore we continuously seek ways to minimize our impact and be a good citizen. At Multifilm we measure our environmental impact from multiple angles. This includes everything from scrap rates to downgauging efforts for material reduction to indexing energy consumption.

The graph on this page compares our kilowatt and Btu (British thermal units) consumption per pound of film produced over the last six years, using our consumption of both kWh and therms in 2007 as the index year.

Usually 75 percent of the energy used in a typical manufacturing facility is directly linked to production. These values can vary depending on the product mix being made. The remaining 25 percent is typically a fixed energy consumption rate, regardless of volume produced. These include everything from lighting in the maintenance office to computers for administrators.

The installations of our groundbreaking and innovative geothermal process cooling and HVAC system and regenerative thermal oxidizer for pollution control off the printing presses have helped to reduce our energy consumption dramatically over the past few years. Smaller efforts, such as installing motion sensors for warehouse lighting, have also contributed towards making Multifilm Packaging a greener company.

Overall, we have been able to reduce our energy consumption index by about 52 percent. However, in 2012 we saw a slight increase due to a very hot summer as well as a significant increase in the lamination department. Also, our acquisition of a repelletizing extruder in 2012 improved our overall carbon footprint, but slightly increased our energy consumption. Being green isn’t easy, but this investment has helped us reduce our raw material consumption greatly.

Our hunt for energy efficiency is a journey rather than a goal, one that we look forward to continuing.